Farhana Zulkernine is an Assistant Professor and the Coordinator of the Cognitive Science program at the School of Computing at Queen's University. She holds a Ph.D. degree from the School of Computing at Queen's University and is a member of Professional Engineers of Ontario. She has more than 15 years of international work experience in three continents in software design, analysis and research. As a researcher she has worked with CA Technologies, IBM Canada, SAP Germany and Fondazione Bruno Kessler in Italy. Her research interests include service and cloud computing, big data analytics and management, and cognitive computing. She has ongoing research collaborations with the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC) and Compute Canada, Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Services Network (CPCSSN) and the Queen's School of Medicine. She has taught a wide number of courses in database management systems, cognitive science and machine learning.
Cognitive Science Program:
Machine Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, Cognitive Computing
- Decision support systems, big data management and analytics
- Multi-tenant and autonomic Database Management Systems (DBMS), Analytic workflow management systems
Cloud Computing, Services Computing
- Cloud and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), Service Provisioning on the Cloud
- Negotiation of Service Level Agreements, Business process modeling
Check the BAM Lab Website for information about open positions.
Fall 2017 Courses
Winter 2018 Courses
Previously Taught Courses
- Post-doctoral Fellowship award, IBM Canada Research and Development Center (CRDC) and Southern Ontario Smart Computing Innovation Platform (SOSCIP), 2012.
- NSERC Post Doctoral Fellowship award (declined to accept the IBM/SOSCIP award), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research, 2012.
- NSERC Industrial Research and Discovery Fellowship (IRDF) award, pre-approved, NSERC, 2012.
- MITACS Elevate Industrial Postdoctoral Fellowship award, MITACS and CA Technologies, 2010.
- NSERC Visiting Fellowship (VF) award, nominated, NSERC, 2010.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) - Professional Outreach Award, 2008.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE SOCNE’07 Workshop at IEEE AINA, 2007, Niagara, Canada.
- Nokia Student Travel Award, IEEE International Conference on AINA, 2007.
- Talent Pool Scholarship, Bangladesh Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, for excellence in academic performance, 1988-1993.
- SOSCIP Scientific Advisory Committee
- Licensed member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- IEEE Computer Society
- INSTICC (Institute for Systems and Technologies of Information, Control and Communication)
- IBM CASCON (2016-2017), International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER) (2015- 2017), ACM Symposium of Applied Computing (SAC) Cloud Computing track (2011-2017), International Conference on Advances in Big Data Analytics
- (ABDA'17), International Conference on Applied Cognitive Computing (ACC'17)International Conference on Grid, Cloud, and Cluster Computing (GCC'17), International Conference on Health Informatics and Medical Systems (HIMS'17), International Conference on Internet Computing and Internet of Things (ICOMP'17)